Even though CBD has been a popular healing agent in ancient times, the phytocannabinoid came to the limelight in the modern world quite recently.
And because we were so late to discover its benefits, there is very little scientific evidence to showcase CBD's impact on the human body. Research is in progress to examine how CBD interacts with our bodily mechanisms, and how it could potentially be used for insomnia, chronic pain, anxiety, depression, epilepsy, and other conditions.
To go by anecdotal evidence, CBD can be a natural remedy for insomnia. If you find it difficult to fall asleep, but you don't want to go into hardcore sleeping medicines, CBD could be a great alternative.
It calms down the body and the mind, soothes your senses, and allows you to relax. And this relaxing sensation puts you at ease, so you can sleep well, without any interruptive thoughts or actions.
But before we delve into the relationship between CBD and insomnia, it's necessary to discuss what is clinically regarded as insomnia, and why it occurs.
First Things First: What Causes Insomnia?
In simple terms, insomnia is a sleep disorder where you don't get enough sleep. Insomnia makes it difficult to fall asleep, and in case you wake up in the middle of your sleep, you cannot go back to sleep again. It impacts your mental and physical health, making you feel increasingly lethargic.
As we all know, 7-9 hours of undisturbed sleep is necessary for us to function properly. And when you don't fill up this quota of sleep day after day, chances are you're suffering from sleep disorder.
There can be multiple causes of insomnia, including lifestyle, stress, traveling, medications, and old age, to mention a few. Let's try and understand these causes in detail.
- Mental Health Issues: People suffering from anxiety disorder, depression, and PTSD often experience disrupted sleep cycles. Trouble falling asleep or waking up at oddly early hours are some of the common symptoms of insomnia caused by these illnesses.
- Age: With age, the body's way of functioning changes. Old people have difficulty sleeping for long hours. They often wake up early, but falling asleep is not as easy. Aged people become light sleepers, and they often get awakened by the slightest noise.
- Timezone Change: When you're traveling between continents and different time zones, it takes a toll on your body. Your body's natural clock is confused, and as a result, you find yourself staying awake until the dead of the night. Your sleep-wake cycle also gets affected if you're working night shifts.
- Side-Effects of Medication & Sedentary Lifestyle: Prescription medications can affect your natural sleep cycle. This is more prevalent in older adults, as they are more likely to take higher doses of medicines than young adults. Lack of physical activity is another big cause of insomnia.
- Hormonal Changes: Insomnia caused by hormonal changes is more common in women. The body transforms during menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and also when a woman experiences menopause. All of these can cause serious sleep disruption.
These are some of the common reasons why you could be having insomnia. CBD could be potentially used as a way to treat insomnia, and help you improve your quality of sleep.
Role of CBD in Handling Insomnia
The endocannabinoid system in the body is in charge of controlling different physical mechanisms, like sleep, regulation of emotions, pain, and so on. Our body is capable of releasing endocannabinoids naturally. But when the body gets access to CBD from an external source, it might have a greater impact. CBD interacts with the hypothalamus and minimises the overactive stress hormones that are responsible for insomnia.
CBD handles insomnia by eliminating the external factors that could be causing sleep disruption, such as pain, anxiety, and stress.
How CBD Treats Insomnia – At A Glance
- By reducing pain & inflammation
- By reducing anxiety
- By fixing the body's natural sleep-wake cycle
- By controlling restless leg syndrome (RLS)
CBD Products to Fight Insomnia
CBD is available in multiple forms– it could be something edible like gummies or capsules, something topical like cream or lotion, or in the form of oil drops or tinctures.
Here are some of the best CBD products you can try for insomnia:
1. Light Garden Dream Big Premium CBD Oil Drops: Containing hemp-derived full-spectrum CBD, this natural CBD oil drop helps you rest well for longer hours and wake up feeling rejuvenated.
2. Light Garden Premium CBD Gummies: If you want to experience a calm and relaxing sensation in a natural way, these gummies are just what you need. Made with hemp-derived CBD, these colourful edible gummies offer a sweet treat to your taste buds.
3. CBD Capsules: These THC-free CBD capsules steer away the stress and tension of a tiring day, helping you focus on your wellbeing.
Choose CBD in any form you like and add it to your daily wellness regime.
Should You Use CBD for Insomnia?
Now that you know how CBD can benefit you and offer relief from insomnia, it's your call. If you don't want to rely on medication, or if you've already tried them but they didn't suit your condition, you can consider trying CBD products.
However, you should exercise some caution before taking CBD capsules, gummies, or oil drops. CBD can have side effects if you're already under certain medications – blood thinners, for instance. It would be wise to consult your healthcare provider as a preventive measure.
Also, make sure you're following the right dosage, and you're not taking more than what's recommended.
One-Stop Destination for High-Quality CBD Products: Light Garden
At Light Garden, we want you to live a healthy and happy life, free from pain, stress, and anxiety. That's why we have formulated our special range of CBD products, made with hemp-derived CBD. Our products are free from THC, so there is no risk of getting 'high'. If you have been looking for a natural way to sleep well and ward off insomnia, our oil drops, gummies, and capsules would be a good choice. So put your wellbeing first, and say yes to CBD!